Critical thinking is a cognitive strategy consisting largely of continual checking and testing of possible solutions to guide one’s work ( www.credoreference.com/). It is looking at the bigger picture and considering how and why something and can befit it. When a person is using critical thinking he/she should be able to identify and evaluate evidence for and against the choice he/she is making.
http://www.googolpower.com/content/articles/what-is-critical-thinking-why-is-it-important.
In inquiry class we were asked to find a book on critical thinking. After searching through a few books I came across the book, Critical Thinking by Robert H. Ennis. The first reason why this book caught my attention was the Tile; I figured it was safe to assume this book had something to do with critical thinking and that it would be a suitable resource. When I read the book description I found the book to be intriguing because it seems like the author covers the many areas in which critical thinking applies, along with how to apply them. “Unique in perspective, this book provides a general approach to critical thinking skills that can be applied to all disciplines. With an emphasis on writing, as well as on deciding what to believe or do, it offers extended discussions, examples, and practice of such skills as observing, making judgments, planning experiments, and developing ideas and alternatives.”(Book description, Critical Thinking by Robert H. Ennis).
Once I had my book resource for my essay I decided to look up more information about the author. On google I found a web page called The Critical Thinking Co. where I stumbled upon Robert H. Ennis’s critical thinking test, called Cornell Critical Thinking Test, along with Ennis’s critical thinking concepts. Here are the different aspects Ennis believes a critical thinker should have;
- Is open-minded and mindful of alternatives
2. Tries to be well-informed
3. Judges well the credibility of sources
4. Identifies conclusions, reasons, and assumptions
5. Judges well the quality of an argument, including the acceptability of its reasons, assumptions, and evidence
6. Can well develop and defend a reasonable position
7. Asks appropriate clarifying questions
8. Formulates plausible hypotheses; plans experiments well
9. Defines terms in a way appropriate for the context
10. Draws conclusions when warranted, but with caution
11. Integrates all items in this list when deciding what to believe or do
(http://www.criticalthinking.com/articles.html).
When do we use critical thinking? Almost everybody uses critical thinking one way or another throughout there day. If your tired at night and don’t feel like brushing your teeth and you say to yourself “I should brush my teeth, I don’t want to end up with cavities”; that is a simple form of critical thinking. When you ask yourself that question you are considering the future as well as the present and are therefore thinking beyond simple thinking. So no matter how it is used critical thinking is essential in life success.



No comments:
Post a Comment