Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Productive Parenting....


      Pointing out what a child is doing wrong is not an affective way to get a positive response out of them. I found reading the Ineffective Parenting Techniques blog for Krista's group very interesting. The blog is written by a a kind mother, who has some helpful tips for other parents.She advises parents not to point out a child's bad behavior when asking them to do something. I definitely agree with the author of this blog. I have worked in a Nursery School and can tell you from personal experience , children do not respond to negativity.



     In the Ineffective Parting Technique blog the author discusses  saying things such as "I'm not going to tell you again". When saying that I  that you undermined your authority. Most likely you will end up telling it again and your child knows that , so they're not going to take you very seriously. I also agree with the author on the importance of being clear with your expectations.


 
      At the Nursery School I used to work at , when it was time for the children to clean up, a teacher would let the children know when they had 10 minutes left. Then when 5 minutes were left the teacher would have a child go around with the "5 minute hand" ( a paper hand that said 5 minutes) , and tell they other children they had 5 more minutes. When that five minutes was up the teacher would have another child turn of the lights, to let the children know it was clean up time.We would play a clean up song  while the children were cleaning to  motivate them on the cleaning process. I think many people will agree that being clear with your exceptions is important. It allow your child to understand what they need to do/ should be doing.  I also think it's important to remember that positive statements receive positive responses.


No comments:

Post a Comment